Remember those few hot days we had over the summer? Well, a team from Piglet’s Pantry spent those lovely July days at a beautifully-secluded Airbnb in rural Sussex – where they photographed the...
As pumpkins, broomsticks and ghostly ornaments begin to fill the shelves of our favourite retailers, now is the perfect time to kick off your preparations for the spookiest Halloween party of the...
With the summer months in full swing, what could be better than spending an afternoon tucking into a delicious basket of seasonal favourites, surrounded by the great outdoors? Now, don’t get too...
When is National Prosecco Day? Taking place on 13th August, National Prosecco Day offers the perfect opportunity to make use of the last of the summer sun. Whether it’s throwing a garden party for...
At Piglet's Pantry, we absolutely adore any reason to celebrate, and there's one particular annual occasion that holds a special place in our hearts— National Cream Tea Day. National Cream Tea Day...
Father's Day is one of our favourite days of the year here at Piglets Pantry, spent celebrating all the wonderful father figures in our lives. While common shop-bought gifts are an easy option,...
On 6th May 2023, our new King will be crowned in Westminster Abbey, London. The following Monday will see the entire country receiving an extra bank holiday, allowing the festivities to continue...
When it comes to planning an Easter egg hunt at home, there are two fundamental rules to follow - don’t be stingy… and have lots and lots of fun! Easter is a time of celebration, but being the...
With Mother’s Day fast approaching, now is the perfect time to start thinking about how you can make this the best one yet. Mums are notorious for sacrificing the tiny luxuries in life to treat...
At Piglet’s Pantry HQ, we’re busy gearing up for one of our favourite days of the year - Valentine’s Day. From as early as the 14th century, February has been celebrated as the month of romance,...
Root Vegetable Soup
We’re excited to share with you how you can turn your Piglet’s savoury bakes into a full and hearty, balanced winter meal. Our Winter Warmer recipes are jam-packed with goodness and the wholesome flavours that go hand in hand with some classic Piglet’s Pantry treats.
Filled to the brim with delicious seasonal veg, our root vegetable soup is the perfect nutritious, vegan-friendly, comfort food that will help you through the cold months. Combine it with one of our award-winning sausage rolls and you’ve got yourself a perfectly balanced winter lunch! It’s been created by our very own Assistant Head of Savoury, Wade, so this is a truly tried and tested recipe from one of the incredible chefs we’re privileged to have on our team.
What could be better than hunkering down on the sofa with a steaming bowl of soup and a Piglet’s savoury bake? Here are a few scrumptious Piglet’s Pantry snacks that will go perfectly with our Winter Warmer soup:
- Vegan Sausage Roll
- Winter Scotch Eggs
- Vegan Spicy Bean Roll
- Tear and Share Sausage Roll Wreath
Our root vegetable soup recipe is delicious, quick, and adaptable, just pick and choose the root vegetables that you like best. Whether you are cooking up a big pot for the whole family, or looking for something easy to freeze and keep for later, this soup is an great lunch, or light dinner option and here’s how you can make it:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 800g/1lb of root vegetables (e.g. sweet potato, potato, celery, celeriac, carrots, parsnips. Butternut squash is great too)
- 1 vegetable stock cubes with 200ml of water
- Season to taste with cracked black pepper and salt
- Bouquet garni (optional)
- Optional Garnishes: Homemade croutons, squeeze of lemon juice, drizzle of olive oil, chopped fresh herbs or single cream
- To begin, carefully peel the vegetables.
- Dice and slice the veg so they are all a similar size (the smaller you chop, the quicker they’ll cook!)
- Heat the oil and gently fry the onion until soft and golden brown.
- Next, saute the root veg in the same pan, stirring occasionally. Stir in the garlic and continue frying for a few minutes more.
- Crumble the stock cubes in the water, add the water to the saucepan and bring to the boil. Once boiled, reduce the heat down to a simmer and add the bouquet garni. Cook for 20 minutes or until all vegetables are soft, stirring occasionally. Remove the pan from the heat and take out the garni.
- Once off the heat, blitz the soup with a blender until it reaches your desired texture and season with some salt and black pepper.
- Voila, you have yourself some delicious root vegetable soup – the perfect accompaniment to a Piglet’s Pantry sausage roll.
We really hope you enjoy this vegetable-filled, delicious vegan recipe as much as we do. If you create our root vegetable soup, or any of our Winter Warmer recipes, don’t forget to show us on social media, by using the hashtag #mypiglets.